Jan 29, 2009

time to think

Even with work stress at a high I was able to start to get on track with my training last week. I did substitute runs for bike rides since my right foot is STILL bothering me but overall by the weekend rides I was feeling good. Then Monday I hit a wall and got the flu and have done nothing besides nap for the past 3 days.
Since all I have been doing for the last couple of days is laying around and watching Ironmans I have been thinking about 2008 and my strengths and what still needs more work and how that plays into my goals for 2009.

The strengths:
I ran a 1:45 at the Vancouver half marathon.
My bike skills have improved a lot, I actually prefer to be in my aerobars.
I managed to stay injury free most of the season with the help of pilates and both ART and deep tissue massage.
Had an overall good race at Vineman 70.3 with a 5:52:37 and got a slot for the Ironman World Championships 70.3.
Was in the top 7 in my age group at some local sprints and my first olympic distance triathlon.
I had a pr swim of 38:17 at Ironman World Championships 70.3.
Consistency in training - I'm really good at getting my training in and fallowing my coaches instructions.
I really worked at finding what is right for me - I had a hard time deciding to change coaches mid-season but it was what I needed to do.

Things to work on:
I struggled with nutrition on the run on the 70.3 races - tend to stop eating the last 7 miles or so.
Overall strength - my upper body is just not strong enough, and my legs could be stronger as well. Pilates has helped a ton with my core though.
Need to not make assumptions about what I can and can't do.
Confidence/mental - I struggle with being intimidated and trusting my abilities and strengths. I know I can keep going but I have a hard time believing I can go faster.

Goals/plans for 2009:
To stay positive and believe in myself
I have already added in 3 days a week of a circuit style strength training workout
Run a sub 1:40 half marathon and run a 1:50 off the bike in a 70.3 race
Swim goal is to be able to go hard off the start line and continue getting faster - my form has already improved a lot and masters is helping push myself
A sub 3 hour bike in 70.3 race and be brave enough to go faster on the downhills
Eat healthy and eat enough
Overall build speed and strength to take into next year to do my second full ironman

Overall I'm happy with 2008. I grew a lot as a athlete and feel like I have only scratched the surface of what I am capable of. I'm excited about 2009 and 2010 for that matter. Now if only I could get over this stupid flu already and get back to training.

2 comments:

NW Firefly said...

GOOD FOR YOU! A review of the year is a fabulous thing to do. You really seem to have a grasp of your strengths and weakness. With that information, I am sure you will reach all of your goals.
LOVE YOU for being who you are!

Steve Stenzel said...

Can you magically transfer your better bike skills to me? I could use them...

And nice 2009 goals!! Good luck!